top of page

New Zealand Registration Recent FAQS

1. Am I able to receive an exemption to travel to New Zealand under the ‘Critical Health Workers' if I have been offered a physiotherapy job by an employer in New Zealand?

Response from Immigration New Zealand:

“Firstly, our borders are not open, only NZ citizens or NZ permanent residents are being allowed to cross our borders. There are some exceptions when non-NZ citizens or residents are allowed entry but these are very few and the criteria is very high - either they have a unique skill (only person able to repair specialist equipment or critical to the COVID response) - it is likely physiotherapists would not be close to meeting the criteria - hence would not be allowed entry to NZ. For any physiotherapist who does have an NZ citizenship or NZ residence, they would be expected to spend 14 days in a managed isolation facility. At this moment the managed isolation facility costs are being covered by the government; however, the government has indicated that they will be looking to share this cost with those in the facilities in the near future (although nothing confirmed).”

2. Who can certify my documents?

Your documents should be certified by an official who is authorized by law such as a Justice of the Peace, Commissioner of Oaths, Solicitor or Notary Public. If this is not completed by one of the listed professionals, you will need to provide additional documentation demonstrating the certifier has the legal power to certify documents in your country. Generally, it is easier to use one of the persons listed!

3. Which documents will I need to pay to have certified?

You will need to get the following documents certified: Passport ID page, Evidence of your change of name (if relevant), Degree certificate and academic transcript. It is then up to you if you want to get your curriculum, statement of placements, and any of your supporting evidence certified or send the originals (remember the board does not return any documents!)

4. Can the Validation of Work Forms/Fitness to Practise forms be emailed to the board?

These forms can be typed + signed and sent directly by email to the New Zealand Physiotherapy Board. Please note these forms must be sent directly to the board by your referee and will not be accepted if you send them with your application.

5. Who can provide my Validation of Work forms?

Your referee should have been/is responsible for you in a professional way and have direct knowledge about your learning. Ideally, this should be your employer or team leader, if your options are limited a colleague may be acceptable. The New Zealand Physiotherapy Board ask that at least two referees are current or recent employers with a physiotherapy background. For individual circumstances, please query this with the Board directly so that they can determine the best option. The New Zealand Physiotherapy Board are very helpful!

6. Does my curriculum need to be stamped on every page?

If the curriculum is published by the university in a bound document, a stamp on the first page should be acceptable, otherwise, if the curriculum is not in a bound document every page should be stamped. The New Zealand Physiotherapy board will usually accept a non bound curriculum with only the first page being stamped if accompanied by a signed cover letter stating how many pages are within the document - although it is preferred every page is stamped.

7. My university can’t provide physically stamped documents; does the board accept digitally stamped


Due to the current situation around the world, digitally stamped documents should be acceptable. If you are unable to receive a hard copy of the university documents, they can be sent directly from the university to the New Zealand Physiotherapy Board via email.

8. Can the whole application be typed or are there any documents that must be handwritten? 

All documents can be typed EXCEPT the Statutory Declaration which must be completed by hand. You must also hand sign any documents which ask for this. The Treaty of Waitangi, Cultural Competence, Threshold Templates, and Reflections, CV MUST be typed and completed on the New Zealand Physiotherapy Board’s templates.

9. Does my supporting evidence need to be transferred to templates?

All of your reflections must be transferred to the New Zealand Physiotherapy Board reflection statement templates. All of your other supporting evidence can be submitted as it is. 

10. I am a new graduate who completed a 4-year degree how do I complete the 2nd row of the Threshold templates?

If you have gained your primary physiotherapy qualification from a four-year full-time degree and do not have any post-grad experience, you do not need to complete the 2nd row of the Threshold templates. The CV also only needs to detail your clinical employment history since qualifying and explain any gaps in practise.

11. Should I send my Certificate of Good Standing with my application?

No, the Certificate of Good Standing should be sent directly from the relevant board (e.g. HCPC) to the New Zealand Physiotherapy Board and must be dated within 3 months of the board receiving your application

12. Is there a word count for reflections I use as part of the 3-5 pieces of supporting evidence?

There is no word count for your own reflections you use as supporting evidence for the Threshold templates. The word count only applies to the Cultural Competence Reflection (minimum 500 words) and the Treaty of Waitangi (750-1000 words).

13. How long does this process typically take?

Usually, we find physios are able to prepare an application with 3 months and then there is a 2-3-month processing time with the New Zealand Physiotherapy Board. Just be aware there may also be long delays for post at the moment!

14. Once approved does my registration ever expire and when do you have to apply for an Annual Practising Certificate (APC)?

Once you have successfully gained registration you will be provided non- practicing status for the remainder of the year – this runs from the 1st April – 31st March each year.

In order to maintain your registration in New Zealand, you must update your practicing status each year to practicing or non-practicing. If you update your status each year your registration remains valid for as long as you need it.

bottom of page